If you are thinking about camping in the middle of the forest or somewhere in the mountains you might want to know one or two camping tips before you set off. I just got back from the USA where I camped in a beautiful valley surrounded by waterfalls and this was simply amazing. I got a lot of help from my fellow campers so, it is only fare if I share some of the tips with you.
Packing your bag
You will need a lot of stuff. Even if that is just a two-day trip you are going to need quite a lot of stuff with you. Of course you can skip a thing or two but if you want to be as comfortable as possible you should consider the following:
- A tent. If you are travelling with a buddy think about sharing a tent. Then you won’t need to carry one just for yourself and can use spare space in your pack for other things.
- Sleeping pad . This is a cover for under your sleeping bag. Do not skip it as it will get cold in the night and if you lie on the ground you will get very cold. There are inflatable options available that take as little space as possible.
- Sleeping bag. Depending on the season you might get a warmer or a cooler version. Trust me, a warm version is very warm, even if it doesn’t look like it.
- Food. This is where it gets interesting. There are plenty of dried food available on the market that you need to mix up with water and voila — a delicious dinner. This food costs a bit more but it weights almost nothing and is surprisingly delicious. Do not forget to take some ready snacks with you like granola bars.
- Gas burner, dishes and other kitchen equipment. If you are not planning on eating cold food it is a good idea to get a gas burner with you. Don’t also forget dishes, forks, cups. There are a lot of stackable/foldable option available on the market so they don’t take up too much space.
- Water. Take at least 2 litres of water per person. You can carry a bottle or there are special foldable water bags available that you can keep in the backpack and drink using a special tube.
- Trowel. It might sound weird but you must bury your biological waste. Be prepared.
- Clothes. Take some spare socks, underwear, a t-shirt and maybe a pair of sneakers.
This is by no means the full list of what you might need if you are going camping. But this is a good place to start your packing. More camping tips to follow!